On webm, webp, heif, and SWF...

No.89377 ViewReplyOriginalReport
It’s been on the mind recently, especially with Hiro beta testing that mobile layout recently.

I hate webm, I hate webp. Yes it’s true, if you’re not on iShit, seeing files in browser is a non-issue. The problem though is that aside for being a PITA with even some more popular browsers, webm support at a HARDWARE level is still not there. VP8/9 hardware decoders will never reach a saturation level near H.264 and H.265/HEVC. Why did Moot enable webm in the first place? I say, get rid of it and simply replace it with H.264/H.265. It’s more efficient, most ever major OS supports it at the native level, the hardware is more prevalent, and HEVC is efficient enough to be used as a gif alternative. That and it would help battery life and CPU woes.

As for supporting newer standards, why can’t we use heif yet? Again, supported natively with most major OSes (Windows 10 can get free support via Store), and more efficient than jpeg.

And what about SWF? 1 more year until it is no longer supported on modern browsers by adobe. Keep /f/ open until then, but replace it with /mov/ afterwards so HEVC with SOUND less than 10MB can be supported.

This way, the files are efficient, smaller, and accessible with more devices. And before some of you go “but h.26x isn’t fully open source”, keep in mind it’s fine to use for non-commercial purposes, which applies to everything posted by us anyways.

TL;DR Fuck webm, add heif and HEVC support.