SI Revolution in 2019 - New model of Kilogram, and revision of other units

No.9679685 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Recently, a Nobel Prize Laureate, prof. Klaus von Klitzing (Physics, 1985), had visited my university, and gave quite lenghty lecture on the upcoming changes to the SI system. It was all centered about changing the base of unit of mass from prototype object (the Big K, which is platinum-iridium alloy cylinder - basically every country has to make copies of it to calibrate their precise instruments) to the formula which is based on the Planck's constant and few other principles (other one being the prof. Nobel Prize thesis - the Quantum Hall effect).

It was first "grand" lecture that I attended. And by grand, I mean that on huge lecture hall, out of around 200-300 attendees, there were more of doctors and other professors than students, so I was pretty excited. And my predictions were right - it was overally the best lecture that I've attended so far, vastly different from standard, course lectures. The scale of difference between sharpness of mind of noblist's and the rest of scientific world is just astounding. Not to mention that after a lecture, there were many questions asked (I too managed to sneak in one), and he managed to answer every single one without stumbling even once.

So, to prepare for future changes in the most fundamental part of science world, let's make a quality thread for once, devoid of foolish "IQ" pandering, brainlet posting and other dumb shit. Post your thoughts about current units, universal constatns, your own encounter with Noblists or famed professors, or other related stuff. Also, if you have any questions about the afromentioned lecture, feel free to ask.