Sunscreen or not?

No.14394953 ViewReplyOriginalReport
I'm a transplant patient and on immunosuppressive medication. Apparently skin is much more sensitive on this medication and you're like 90x more likely to get skin cance*. The rates are supposedly much higher in transplant patients.

I've had 3 different dermatologists and they told me
>Always wear sunscreen no matter what. Even if you walk outside for 30 seconds to get your mail, wear sunscreen. One of them said it might be ok for a few minutes, but any longer and I need sunscreen.

But my transplant surgeons told me
>It's ok to be in the sun casually like running errands, going for a walk, etc. Sunscreen is only necessary if I'm going to be out for a long time, like if I'm baking in the sun on a hot summer day.

I don't know what to believe. My mom, who is not a transplant patient and has no skin issues, is also told to wear sunscreen all the time. So now I'm thinking they aren't telling me this because I had a transplant, but because it's what you should do. I've done a bit of research and found some things regarding sunscreen. For example, it's toxic and is the cause of skin cance*, supposedly there isn't even much evidence that says it prevents it. People up north also have higher rates than people who live in a sunny climate down south.

So now I'm wondering if it's the advice given by dermatologists that make rates higher in transplant patients. Because they probably avoid the sun as much as possible, and when they go out they cake on the sunscreen like crazy. I did that too. I was terrified of the sun for several years and avoided it at all costs.

Does anyone have any other info on this? Is sunscreen actually bad, even if you're a transplant patient? Some people are calling it the new margarine because we're going to find out it's actually horrible for us.