At Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Phd Defense

No.13100212 ViewReplyOriginalReport
>"...and THEN he turned twenty-six. And meanwhile you have idiotic white boys slogging through calculus in college, something that he invented on a whim! So that right there is why Isaac Newton is my nigg- I mean my main man."
>panel member sighs: "Mr. Tyson we asked you to account for systematic errors and you want on a ten minute anecdotal rant about Isaac Newton, which I'm sure any historian of science will tell you was wrong. I'm sorry Mr. Tyson, you have not properly defended your thesis nor in fact have you demonstrated sufficient knowledge in astrophysics. In fact it says here you did not pass general relativity?"
>"I-uhh well I-I oh did you know that there are more atoms in the tip of your finger than there are stars in the Milky Way?"
>"I'm sorry Mr. Tyson, but we cannot pass--"
>other panel member nudges him in the shoulder: "psst hey we've missed our quota for black phd's two years in a row!"
>"Ok Mr. Tyson, you'll have to do. I'll give you two basic questions any undergrad can answer. How many infinities are there mathematics and how are they derived?"
>"Oh that's easy, there are exactly five infinities and ..." *goes on to bungle cantor's proof*"
>panel member look at each other with dumbfounded expressions: "Really? Five whole infinities? Wow. Now how about this one: explain to us Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle."
>"Well you see in order to observe a particle you have to shoot another particle at it and in doing so you change its momentum."
>"That's not what the... you know what? Never mind. Congratulations Mr. Tyson, you pass. God have mercy on your soul and any institution that hires you."
>"I don't believe in god"

really /sci/? this guy is your hero?