Near death experiences

No.12586847 ViewReplyOriginalReport
I lost someone I hold dear to my heart just two days ago. As someone in the hard sciences I have been skeptic of life after death for a while but, in my grief I have tried to understand more about the process of dying via articles, ted talks and the like. This has prompted me to ask the following question:

Is there actually an evolutionary purpose to people being at ease when they're dying or when people who somehow come back to life (a vast majority of them) say they see their loved ones and even claim to be able to step out of their bodies and give details about things they couldn't have known?

I mean, by that point in their lives, those who have reproduced already must've have had a chance to pass on their genes, even if they didn't share the mutation that allows for this kind of thing to happen so I wouldn't know how to explain the similarities in the experiences recorded by third parties when witnessing death. Forgive me if my knowledge of how biological systems function is limited, as it is not my area of study.