Skeptism about Astrophysics

No.11506939 ViewReplyOriginalReport
As a layman to Astronomy/physics, I am not in the exact position to call bullshit, but I am most certainly skeptical about this entire field. It sounds like a huge joke: scientists of this vocation simultaneously act as if "the science is settled" and propagate information through the gorillion pop-science media outlets as a priest does the Gospel, and yet they are continually surprised and dumbfounded by shit they discover, almost as if they know exactly nothing. What more, they substitute missing information with "explanatory" fiction like dark matter and dark energy, which conveniently are invisible. If ~96% of the universe has to be chalked up to invisible magic dust, that's strategically placed within galaxies to account for the fact that they couldn't stay together otherwise according to previous math or as some ad hoc explanation for the expansion of the universe, you would think that someone would think that there might be something wrong with our theories, beginning that we are just fallible apes on some random wet rock in the tiniest sliver of a galaxy among billions and in the tiniest sliver of time. But no, that seems to not be the case. This isn't even mentioning the other events from deep in space or even within the solar system conventional thought has little means in understanding.
Is this a reasonable worry to have? I'm genuinely curious to hear from people that may know better. I don't want to start a shitstorm, although that is inevitably going to be the case.