Visual impairment/antistigmatism

No.5973079 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Does anyone here have any experiences regarding antistigmatism/bad depth perception and drawing?

I have been forced to use regular contact lenses for a while, since the producer of my toric contacts fucked up something and i have now been waiting months. I feel like the regular contacts corrects any potential issue, and i haven't been thinking about it really, but now i feel like it is harder to focus on things, especially after working on a piece for some time. I am slightly "wall eyed" (same as lazy eye maybe?) so i mainly focus with one eye at a time.
What made me curious about this, was when Marshall Vandruff mentioned something on the proko/draftsmen podcast about some old legendary illustrator (or something, don't remember the details or episode name) that apparently could tell right away that one of his students had antistigmatism, just by looking at his drawing. This might have been back in the they before this could be corrected tho, i don't know.

There is very little info to find about this, apprarently it's not that big of a deal, but i'm certain that something as afoot now that i don't have my right contacts.
Rembrant did apparently have bad depth perception judging by his (always quite honest) self portraits, and his eyes seem to go in different directions. Some even theorize that this could help him (or others with the same issue) visualize 3d forms on a 2D/flat surface more easily, because that's how it's percieved by default. An old art school trick for copying objects from life are to close one eye, according to some sources that discusses this.