No.4387075 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Is creativity more important than fundamentals?

I've been reading Manga in Theory and Practice by Hirohiko Araki. He mentions going through the popular mangas and figuring out what they are doing right. He also mention looking at what unpopular mangas are doing wrong.

I noticed the most popular mangas tend to all have bad art. Attack on titan, One Punch Man and Demon Slayer all have shitty art, but are insanely popular.

I also noticed people who have better art tend to sink a ton of time into it. Vagabond artist said he puts in 90 hours a week. That 90 hours a week pretty much leads to nothing.

Even worst Hirohiko Araki has a crazy schedule and I didn't even know who he was. So much work and he is barely surviving in this industry.

I looked at what these NGMIs are doing and most of them have really strong fundamentals, but their creativity is shit.

Made in abyss comes to mind. Akihito is a basement dwelling virgin who lives with his mother, yet his creativity is huge. Now he is a millionaire. He is so lazy he can't even be bothered to write a chapter a month. Same with Hunter X Hunter artist, he does child scribbles, but can't pump out a couple of pages a year.