Graphic novels for LGBT homeless youth

No.94318366 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey /co/, I am part of a group that helps homeless and at-risk youth (primarily age 13-23), whom are mostly LGBT, and we provide a safe space for them where they can chill, stay off the streets, get some food, and watch TV/read/get help on homework. I fund a big part of the respite whenever I can and buy groceries and other supplies for them on the regular, and I am building the library for the youth because I think encouraging young people's reading is important. As an artfag comic lover myself, of course I'd want to fill the respite with books and graphic novels that are enriching, interesting, fun, or just downright fucking hilarious (humor is a good medicine during shitty times). Or simply novels with great stories and awesome artwork is good as well.

I prefer topics that are LGBT friendly, socially conscious, stimulates thought, is written by authors who are gay or trans themselves, or books about historical figures who also happen to be LGBT (such as biography about Alan Turing). It doesn't have to be these, but it's preferred. What do you think young people would love that's also enriching for them? (btw Simon Stålenhag isn't gay, or least from what I know. I just know that he has very interesting and great artwork and maybe some artistically inclined kid at the respite will appreciate it).

Here is my meager list so far: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/2HEFUJGTWCY85/

Feel free to provide input on the content I have in my list so far, or suggest something else.

Also feel free to also recommend videogames and shows that would be awesome for our respite.

I appreciate it!