No.86082258 ViewReplyOriginalReport
>“We will see villains as we go and traditional Marvel challenges,” said Waid. “But right out the bat, they’re not out to fight crime, they’re out to deal with street-level stuff that the Avengers and New Avengers and some of the other big teams don’t deal with on a regular basis. And when I say street-level, I don’t mean muggings. I mean, how do you make the world a better place? It will be an international team in scope, so if you’ve got a bunch of kids that build an app to help drought victims in India and someone’s out to stop that for whatever reason, there’s nothing to punch there, but there is global injustice. You’re dealing with arms races and international conflicts, especially those involving young people... We are into the idea of the Champions as less of a team and more of a movement.”

>Social media has changed and given young voices a platform to be heard, a platform that didn’t exist the previous times Waid wrote teen characters. “The beauty of social media is that it gives people a voice that didn’t have one for the longest time, and it’s important for me as a writer and a person to listen to that. I don’t have to listen to everything or everyone is right, but by and large they are making me think about things that as a white male comics creator I’m not always thinking about. That’s a very important part of this book. I don’t want these to be the problems of white kids problems in America. I’d rather write about stuff that’s a little more reflective of what we’re hearing and seeing young people feel as we enter the 21st century.

Thoughts, /co/?

http://www.cbr.com/live-champions-waid-brevoort-talk-marvels-next-big-thing/