Paul Dini discusses Suicide Squad, Harley Quinn and the DC Extended Universe

No.85907094 ViewReplyOriginalReport
When asked what he thought of Suicide Squad, Dini stated “What I really loved about Suicide Squad is you saw little vignettes that spoke to the heart of DC Comics and DC Comics fans, like The Flash taking down Boomerang or the stuff with Batman and Deadshot or Batman and Harley on the car. That’s great stuff and doesn’t have the whole gravitas of an origin story or a subplot or romance. You can just get right to the meat of it and that’s what I really loved about Suicide Squad. You got such a flavour of the DC universe and judging by what the audience thought, they’re right with that.”

>The conversation eventually turned to Harley Quinn and Margot Robbie’s arguably scene stealing performance. Since this was Dini’s creation and the first time she’d ever been brought to film he was very interested in how she’d be handled, but thought Robbie and David Ayer did a great job bringing her to life. “I thought Margot did a really terrific job and I loved all the nods to her origin such as the elements of Mad Love that were alluded to in the therapy session with her and The Joker, some of their relationship and of course the brief flash of her in the Bruce Timm costume as interpreted by Alex Ross in the dance sequence they did. I felt she had a really good sense of humour about capturing the character and there are moments where you see her mind is always working. She really captured the kinetic energy of the character. If anything, it proved to me that character has enough to support her own movie.”