Morrison Wonder Woman Earth One Interview

No.81206942 ViewReplyOriginalReport
With a bunch of new art

Newsarama: Grant, I know you mentioned having done a lot of research as you tried to approach Wonder Woman in a different way. When you first started putting this together, what was the main approach you wanted to take?

>Grant Morrison: The first thing I did was, I kind of wanted to get away from the warrior woman first thing, because that didn't seem to fit with the original character, as I came into it. Everyone had taken that for granted for a long time. And I'm not saying that's a bad portrayal; I'm just saying that old characters like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman have had a lot of incarnations and a lot of ways of working out a character, but I noticed that this particular aspect of the character had become quite prominent.

>And I thought, I'd like to do something different, because there's no point in doing the character if you don't have something different to say.

>So I went back to the original Marston stories and I was just blown away by the weird atmosphere, in the sense of an alternative culture and alternative sexuality that I think embodied the whole character, everything about the strips — you know, and all that ridiculous bondage stuff that was going on in almost every panel. It seemed like a very different feel than the current version of Wonder Woman, at least for me, anyway.

>You know, Diana doesn't carry a sword and shield in the original. She's got bracelets that can deflect any projectile. And she has the lasso that can make people obey her commands. So she's a kind of unbeatable person to fight, because she's also super-strong and fast and durable and the rest of it.

>It just seemed going back to that original version yielded a lot more material that I felt was more interesting in a modern context.