No.120962202 ViewReplyOriginalReport
There's a good show buried in WandaVision but we're not getting it.
I like the SWORD director and Jimmy Woo is good. Monica is alright I guess. Darcy is just a terrible character and always has been though. There's a lot of creepy shit too with some serious darkness to it. Paul Bettney is a great actor and we can sympathize for him being the biggest victim in all of this.
A big problem is Wanda is evil, she is still willingly enslaving people even if she didn't start this. Only the important people in SWORD are treating her like a hero despite one of them literally having it happen to them. It wants to have this really dark serious story of a woman clearly having a mental breakdown but the characters shrug off her being tyranical. The director is really the only one making sense at this point and he's passed off as being overserious and mean. Its like we're not supposed to root for the only one other than Vision that has recognized the gravity of the situation.
The sitcom stuff just flat out doesn't work. At its worst down right unwatchable. Same goes with most of the humor in general, doesn't work. The children are a nice touch for future stories but they should have really worked better on the framing, this show not whatever is next. They needed to do The Visons, House of M and the twins in one swoop and while going through the ages is clever it didn't age up the boys like I thought it would which just leaves me wondering why its there in the first place. I get Wanda is coping with what she grew up watching but it shouldn't come at the cost of it being unwatchable garbage. Especially since it does really have good things going for it in other areas. Just completely dropped the ball. Overall all the biggest problem is a tonal issue. It wants to be dark and edgy like the Netflix, Freeform and Hulu shows but it doesn't want to lose that family friendly Disney approved MCU tone its had since The Avengers. Much like Wanda the show is having a massive identity crisis.