You think you do, but you don't...

No.114249891 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Dan DiDio still think that New 52 should have lasted longer:
>The biggest regret I got is…not spending the same amount of energy on year two of 'New 52' as we did on year one of 'New 52.'' We spent a good six to eight months building the 'New 52,' rethinking the characters rethinking the designs, rethinking the villains, rethinking everything so it all made sense. As things progressed, moving quicker, we spent less time on development, so we were spending less energy making changes for the characters that felt like they were worthy of a new direction or line.
>By the time we get into the third year, we're just dusting things off and dropping them in. They’re not making sense cause they’re slightly changed but not really changed. Fans don’t have a point of reference anymore. You feel the wheels coming off the cart.
>What happens is, we get to 'Rebirth,' we reinstitute some of the things we felt were missing, but what also happens is, you put in things that made you want to revamp the line in the first place, and things get stagnant again. Everybody says ‘don’t change them anymore’ but the whole purpose of storytelling is change and evolution.
>If you’re not changing and evolving, you’re stagnant. And when you’re stagnant, the books become what the fans identify as ‘does this book matter?’ I need to know which books to buy, and I only wanna buy the books that matter. Well the only way they matter is if they’re affecting change…then you’re chasing your own tail and you can’t get out of it. You have to do these starts and stops every once in a while to keep it going.