IT SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED

No.113622252 ViewReplyOriginalReport
ITT we discuss retcons THAT SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED! We've started with Jason Todd and then followed it up with every part of Venom that pretty much occurred after McFarlane's run. Today I used capitals because we're going to touch on the one retcon that makes me seethe, boil, spelrge all at the same time. It's time to talk about OMD. One Massive Disaster. Quesada's magnum opus of complete fail that basically has killed Spiderman, and Peter as a character for decades now. Think about where Spiderman was in terms of the comics before OMD, his stories, his positioning in comics and think about it after OMD. Peter Parker has been completely lost because Quesada could not stand to see a character "get older". He thought readers could not relate to a Spiderman who was married because it would make him look old. Just think about how fucking obtuse that mindset is. How many other Marvel characters have been married and been fine. What is the difference between a character being in a long term relationship with someone who is synonymous with them and being married? Beyond that think about the fact that the thing Peter has done so well, to me, was actually grow as a character outside of just being Spiderman. He went from nerd to getting the girl. He went from pathetic to pragmatic. Ok sometimes he would back slide but Peter literally went from being an overwhelmed teen to becoming a man. Peter wanting to marry MJ just made logical sense and fit him. Taking that away stunted him, and it sent the character to his current place, which is now trying to finally get back to where he was before OMD. In between we have seen other writers, namely Slott, basically totally do away with Peter as a character at all. Superior Spiderman being literally a comic about Peter not being Spiderman. It was awful and remains awful and we only have OMD to blame. Add in the wannabe Faust deal for hokeyness to boot.