Twelve Forever is one of the best cartoons I ever saw

!!oVKLcvCUhon No.112848348 ViewReplyOriginalReport
This is the best cartoon I've seen in the last decade, or even more. It might be among the five best cartoons I've ever seen in my life, and that in the upper echelon. There, I said it. I said it and I can't believe that I said it. I did not choose to die on this hill, and I'm not interested in defending the show through trolling and rage and bullshit. This is just my opinion that I feel very strongly about, and you're entitled to your own. I only ask of you that you give this show a chance. Twelve Forever, and our protagonist Reggie, have struck a deep chord within me, one that I have forgotten existed. I will avoid spoilers and I'll try to keep this short, because the other option is tl;dr.

I am fully aware this show was "made for me" in a sense. Reggie is a wounded child, a girl who refuses to grow up and accept responsibility, but not out of any childish immaturity. Reggie has no father, and there is no stability in her life. To Reggie, change means destruction, change means a turn for the worst. Everything I've seen Reggie do, from her arrogance to her disregard for other peoples wants and needs (Todd and Esther primarily) comes from this fear. Reggie isn't acting the way she does for trivial reasons - she is terrified. She fears a loss of control to a profound degree. Her seeming refusal to entertain "love" as a possibility comes from seeing her parents divorce and having to deal with the aftermath. And this is all just skimming the top of who Reggie is. And as a child of divorced parents, though in my thirties, I can look back at my childhood and see a Reggie staring back at me. I've been there, I've done that. And I'm willing to bet many an Anon will feel the same when watching this. Todd's experience may resonate with many as well, and I'm sure it will.