What's the consensus on this so far? [Brain/Neuro]

No.10815194 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Alright, ever since I played Wolfenstein as a younger person, I've had nightmares and constant terror over the whole trope of "Fate worse than death" because of the ending scene in which it's revealed one of your companions had been removed from their body, and their brain experimented on for years, mostly conscious of it all, and powerless.
Obviously this freaked me the fuck out -- enough where I seriously considered killing myself in order to evade being tortured for enormous amounts of time completely unable to do anything.

So, the question: is this a possible or likely result of a brain being removed and given negative stimuli?

Lets say a mad scientist tries this in the future without altering your brain at all, only giving inputs and maintaining your brain's health: would you suffer for untold amounts of time? Would you fade out over time? Become numb to the pain? Would you stop existing as soon as you're "pulled out"?
Again, this is all assuming there isn't anything administered to change your mental make up; just inputs of emotions,possibly thoughts, and pain -- no expectation your body has to receive them, just that they are sent.

I know we still don't understand a lot, so this is more about if this is even a possible result, not if this is or isn't what would happen.