No.109403294 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Had a potentially dumb idea on how to "fix" the realm of American comics. I get that DC/Marvel make most of their money via licensing (especially via movies, videogames, etc.) but still.

-The key word, overall, is "accessibility." For example, movies like the MCU are a success because they're relatively self-contained and pretty much anyone can jump into it. If this word (accessibility) is neglected, I could see the comics branch of DC/Marvel being outright axed, and being almost entirely used for licensing for other media.

-Ditch the "perpetual relay race" format for characters & stories, where you get a series of writers/artists all trying to craft a long story that'll get reset anyway. In its place, I'd recommend more shorter and contained stories in the vein of All-Star Superman, or even anthology formats like Batman: Black & White. I'm not saying to get rid of the characters/stories outright, but instead the format in which stories are told, because I don't think it's working.

-Don't shy away from featuring interesting writers/artists in those aforementioned shorter stories, even including those from overseas. I'm especially inspired by the Batman: Black & White story that was drawn by Katsuhiro Otomo.

-Be open to the option of producing comics in greyscale, not unlike manga, depending on much money would be saved in the process.

-For both marketing and talent scouting purposes, there could be contests for writing short stories, and/or drawing artwork samples, all with potentially more specific criteria. Like a contest for drawing a character that insofar that it's inspired by another style, but not simply imitating it. An example of this being how Star Wars had elements inspired by Valerian, and WWII flicks.

-Analyze the circumstances around the creation of various characters, stories, and/or their respective artists & writers, so that those items can be better-understood by the extant staff, and thus better-directed.

Pic related.