No.13796939 ViewReplyOriginalReport
>the probability of abiogenesis occurring is totally unknown.
>"but bro, there are literally billions of galaxies..."

People who believe in Aliens are far worse than religious people because, while the religious person will (almost shamefully) refrain from openly talking about their metaphysics in certain circles, Alien believers think logic and reason are on their side. They look at an empty cosmos, at thousands of years of silence, and they say: "100% bro, there's just so much matter in the universe that there's a 100% chance of them existing, maybe even a 110% chance. I mean, you might argue that's a total non-sequitur, that my believing that would be like expecting at least one cow to spontaneously turn into a hamburger just because there are so many other cows, but, trust me bro, it's the height of hubris to believe we're the only ones"

I know there are a lot of pop scientists who pay lip service to belief in alien life, and I don't care. If you believe in Aliens you're an idiot, even if it turns out Aliens exist it would not vindicate you one iota, it would simply mean your beliefs would change from being baseless and idiotic to being totally obvious.