Where is Consciousness Located?

No.13796097 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Why is the seat of our consciousness located in our heads and not elsewhere in our body with nerve endings and communications, such as the gut? Is it the eyes? If so, where do blind-from-birth people say the seat of their consciousness is located? Is it in our heads because of the sheer number of neurons and connections? (The same way we assume a "lesser" organism to have a "brain" because it's the biggest clump of neurons on them?) Or maybe there's a specific region in the brain (cortex, midbrain, wherever) that houses it? Maybe we can pinpoint it by asking lots of study participants to tell the researcher when they feel a stimulus (e.g. a raised pen) is to the left or right of, and above or below, their sense of self.

For the record I believe it's because of the massive amounts of sensory input (cranial nerves especially) and neuronal processes in our heads.

Please don't bring up soul or other nonsense because my consciousness follows the exact location of my brain without fail, and without any lag or turbulence. (When I walk 10 feet to the right, I don’t leave myself behind.) It’s clearly a product of the material brain.