science is ethos for most people

No.13045103 ViewReplyOriginalReport
This has probably been discussed to death on here but with misinformation being the hot new meme I started thinking about how I know what I know, and realized that 99 percent of what I know is because someone told me. "Ethos" is argument from authority right? What is told to me makes logical sense, and this works for a lot of nontechnical knowledge. But the stacks upon stacks of conclusions that led to our current understanding of things, are not replicable but the average person. So they need to simply accept what they are told. I don't think there is any way around this. The "you must not do your own research" is true.

Maybe someone can provide soemthing more insightful here. I just think it's worth discussing because I get into this argument with Snopes cultists all the time and they just act like I'm being ridiculous but never say anything to really counter it.

So I guess my question is: how do you think, ideally, the average person should interact with science and scientific knowledge?