As fireden.net is no longer providing archives for /a/ /v/ or /vg/ the automatic redirect will be disabled after 12/31/2019 (http://b2x5yoqpispzml5c.onion)
No.48750979 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Randomly rolling for Abilities in D&D gives you practically no information compared to other random character generation. Most other random character generation tries to at least hint at your background, the events that shaped your life or some indication as to where you picked up your skills.

All it does is indicate how generally skilled you are at certain things and even then only a vague estimate. 6-9 Intelligence is just "in a range of stupid" and there are multiple reason why you could be at that level and ultimately the difference in what those values mean becomes entirely semantic. 9 intelligence is stupid up until it doesn't necessarily have to be.

With this in mind you get the same general effect of rolling random attribute numbers as you do just randomly rolling for what attributes in arrays go where. Both of those equally tell you that you suck at one thing and are good at another thing, at least ideally.

The only thing straight 3d6 down doesn't give you is the opportunity for weird 5% anomalies like three abilities at 6 or four abilities at 18. Which if you just ABSOLUTELY NEED TO HAVE THAT POSSIBILITY ON THE TABLE OR ELSE IT'S NOT *REAL GAMING* well I dunno what to say to that. Enjoy your game I guess?

I just don't understand why the argument is made that random generation in D&D helps build a PC concept when it's literally just telling you where you suck and where you're good and letting you draw your own conclusions from that. That's not random generation that's like, random pointing in a vague direction.