/med/ Medicine general

No.9981946 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Alright /med/fags we haven't had a thread in a few weeks, but something has caught my attention and I want to discuss it with you. The following study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945755/

says the increase of celiac desease in recent years is due to the use of Roundup in crops. I actually took time to read the whole thing and they make some good points, but there are some red flags I encountered as well which are as follows:

1.Most of their claims are based on animal models
2.Most claims are on level of hypothesis without experiments to back up said hypothesis
3.One of the researchers has mostly ophtalmology papers and all of a sudden two glyphosphate papers
4.The other researcher is a computer science expert
5.They are so certain of their claims in the conclusion they state that this is sufficient evidence while other papers I've read always say "more research is needed"
7. Celiac desease existed before monsanto and roundup.

Are they legit or they actually let conspiracy theorists publish this? And if this is real isn't it supposed to be a whole different desease?

For newcomers the /med/ thread is a thread about the medical profession and all those involved in it. Pseudoscience and antimedicine shilling is forbidden. Cases, scientific studies and novlety discussions are encouraged. Exam complaining and sharing of health problems is frowned upon, but not forbidden.