Any book for anthropomorphic anatomy/perspective?

No.4327310 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Ok I want to get VERY technical about this just so people don't think I'm just begging to get spoonfed.

There is a pretty large abundance of books on how to draw the human body, and a few regarding animals. To draw an anthro character, however, regarding EXCLUSIVELY to the part of the head, requires a whole new level of perspective, anatomy and thought beyond simply pasting an animal snout onto a human skull or, even worse, just parting the whole animal head into the human cervicals.

The distribution of volume between a human and an animal cranium is enormous. Humans possess a lot of space above the sphenoid bone, and while one can easily match the zygomatic bone between a human and a canine or feline skull, it soon comes clear that the curve at which the nasal bone gets adhered to the frontal bone, and the shape of the frontal bone itself, differs greatly.

Some famous artists like NatalliedeCorsair simply do what I call "the mask approach", which consists in drawing the human skull and then merely replacing the maxillar and the mandible for feral ones. However, the ending result is kind of... unappealing.

Thus, one has to meddle with blind experimentation when trying to find a middle term between both distributions. The feral skull is meant to "hang" all the time in angles closer to the 310-320° angle, the muscles supporting it are different to the human ones, etcetera. There is no single guide I have found beyond insipid tutorials on how to draw furry heads, nobody has explored this to the techical level in which, for example, Loomis has done in regards to the human face.

I wish I could have an analytical approach to furry heads the same way I can have with human or feral ones. I wish I could read some serious book regarding this instead of having to just mindlessly experiment and copy the art from the artists I like. Can you, gentlemen, please show me a pdf that can contain a deeper study on this?