I made an alternate ending that I felt tied up a lot of forgotten themes and lost pieces of the plot. Poasted it here like two years ago. I'll have to see if I can find it. It revolved around John's retcon warping having hard consequences, such as acting as a beacon for a direct Lord English attack.
In fact, I remember I coined a new twist on this recently. It's a take on the idea of "die a hero, or live to be the villain":
- John' retcon powers put him outside the reach of doomed timelines
- But John still changes timelines by warping around, it's just that he himself persists while creating new Johns just as "alpha" as himself
- John zips around a bunch trying to do what anyone (aka we, the audience) would do in his position, which is try to figure out the weird stuff in the plot and resolve issues. He doesn't realise that he's literally calling a timeline's LE right to his location at first or the full scale of his consequences, and so he ends up making about as many problems as he solves.
- Cat and mouse sequence across multiple universes and timelines. You could take this point in all sorts of directions, like John using the password system to enlist the help of multiple Terezis and Roses in figuring how to help here and avoid LE there. However the battle just keeps on getting bigger.
- We watch John grow older and stronger, and simultaneously see Caliborn grow. His session literally lasts years, the last planet taking like a decade alone to crack. There's a parralel between John and Caliborn, both isolated in a sense from the rest of the cast, and older and stronger.
- Eventually RetJohn becomes strong enough that he can actually beat LE in a fight, straight up. But it isn't enough, because LE's black magic means there'll always be another host, Caliborn will always live on. It's the whole ouroborous thing. So John starts to get the idea to cut it off at the source.
I didn't think this'd be a multipost, but okay, that's what I'm doing today.