Tell me, do any of you ACTUALLY know what "Capeshit" is?

No.96385663 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Define exactly what is capeshit. What is a "superhero", exactly? What are the defining guidelines?

Is it a gimmick, a costume with a logo, a crusade? A character who takes it upon themselves to deliver swift justice in an over the top manner?

Such a definition could fit The Punisher, a character considered to be capeshit, and yet, could the same not be said of Judge Dredd?

Judge Dredd is clearly no superhero, but he fits the basic criteria, does he not? A logo, a tight fitting flamboyant suit, a gimmick, a crusade against evil. Hell, he even has gimmick toys just like Batman.

John Constantine? Is he "capeshit"? Oh, sure, he has no suit, no real powers besides wits and magic, but he exists and interacts with the DC universe, does he not?

So what is it then? Superpowers? Would that not include ANYONE with abilities above the average man in ANY media, or ANY genre? Psychics? Super strength?

Is it a combination of the above?

Say there exists a character with a logo, a "superhero" design, a look, a unique origin, a form of crusade, super powers, and they're an adventurer. Does that make for capeshit? Hellboy easily fits under this, and yet i wouldnt jump to call him capeshit.

Tell me, /co/. You read comics about superheroes, and you talk about capeshit, but do you actually know what it is that makes a superhero 'count' as a superhero, or what makes capeshit 'count' as capeshit?