SNAGGLEPUSS first-ever comic book series finally announced as six-issue mini

No.96074338 ViewReplyOriginalReport
>Heavens to Murgatroyd. This January, Hanna-Barbera's classic cartoon character Snagglepuss is being revived by DC Entertainment, but Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles is anything but a strict reboot of the pink mountain lion with particularly refined sensibilities.

>The six-issue series is written by Mark Russell, who turned The Flintstones into one of the most critically acclaimed comics in recent memory, and features art by Mike Feenan. Exit Stage Left reimagines Snagglepuss as a closeted gay playwright from the south who just happens to be the hottest thing on Broadway but will he be able to stay in that role and speak out against the many social injustices happening all around him?

>Heat Vision has the two covers to the first issue by Ben Caldwell (above) and Evan "Doc" Shaner (below) and also talked to Russell about how he ended up bringing the beloved animated lion into his new position in life.

>Given your work on The Flintstones and Prez, it only feels natural for you to handle a reboot of Snagglepuss that is a social satire on mid-20th Century New York and today's society as well but at the same time, how did you end up working on Snagglepuss of all characters?

>It just kind of happened by accident. I was just tweeting funny lines I thought Snagglepuss would say, if he was Tennessee Williams some kind of Southern Gothic playwright and Marie Javins, my editor, thought they were funny and she talked to Dan [Didio, DC co-publisher] about turning that into a comic. That's how it started. It was really just funny tweets, and it just ballooned from there.

>You're obviously a fan of the classic Snagglepuss. He has this over-the-top voice that allows him to get away with saying things like, as you said, this Southern Gothic material without coming across as being too harsh. Is that how you see him as well?