No.85283639 ViewReplyOriginalReport
What's the thing out of all comics that you dislike the most. Not just a bad book or Creator or run or the like, but general things you wish weren't ingrained

For me, it's superhero costumes. Not out of any misguided sense of realism or not being silly or the like, but because they so rarely come from places genuine to the story .

One of the first things they teach you to avoid in good writing is to avoid pure fiat. As a work of fiction, every thing happens because you imagine it, but that can't be the only reason. Every character action, plot twist and narrative best has be rooted in the story itself. It's not enough just to go "I did this because I thought it was cool" you characters have to act as if they are the people they are meant to be as opposed to action figures posed arbitrarily.

Now superhero costumes are rooted in the tradition of Superman himself taking cues from Flash Gordon and compamy, sci fi heroes from other worlds and times who dressed the part. This would carry over into Supes when his out fit was portrayed as Krypton fashion. Then you have the patriotic guys like Captain America and Wonder Woman, propaganda in an out of universe, and the functional outfits, Iron Mans armor, Batman's fear gear,Green Lantern's uniform...I have no issue with this those are characters dressing because of reasons that make sense for them as people in there circumstances .I dislike that the costume should be seen as INHERENT, As in "I wear a costume just because I am a superhero." These people aren't aware of any outside forces of genre tropes or constructs. What would posses them to put on a garish outfit? They don't know they are in a comic and thus have to dress up for covers and such . It just seems so forced you know?