Greg "Lesbian" Rucka | | Wonder Woman Writer

No.84517907 ViewReplyOriginalReport
>I female-identify, and I always have since I was very young. I am not transgendered; I’m not looking for gender reassignment. I clearly have more testosterone flowing through me than most men need, and you can tell just by looking at me. I’m comfortable with my maleness, but for whatever reason the way I’m wired, I have always female-identified.

> I tend to see – socially, I don’t tend to be myself in a male role. I don’t know any other way to put it. Now that being a separate issue, because that’s not an issue of writing, that is an issue of identity… And I think people, we identify however we identify. I’m a Caucasian American Jew. These are all things that make up who I am. That goes to the second half of the question, which is — I believe, for me, all writing comes from character. Character is made up of a variety of different things. One of those elements is gender. We live in a gendered society, and all you have to do is ask any woman here what her experience walking down a empty street at 3 in the morning is like, and then ask any guy. And you’re gonna get different responses. There’s a different implicit threat. That’s a societal problem.

>As a storyteller the goal is to entertain and tell a story, but I believe in art. And I believe that when you are creating stories you are an artist and there are responsibilities with that. And you can try to ignore them all you like, but the fact of the matter is if you are putting out work into the world, you are providing a view of the world. And offering an interpretation of the world no matter how fictitious it is. And for a work to not respect the diversity of the world is problematic. Because we live in a very diverse world. And therefore one of the writers jobs is to grants respect to those experiences. If you do not know something you should find out enough to write it.