'Batman v Superman' Sets Record With Worst Friday-Sunday Drop For A Superhero Pic

!!wPhlyh8seG+ No.81205380 ViewReplyOriginalReport
>On Saturday I wrote about the poor Friday-to-Sunday hold that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice suffered in China this past weekend, thinking that Chinese movie audiences were unique in their haste to forget about the widely panned superhero mashup.

>But after studying the film’s global release results, I realized that I couldn’t have been more wrong.

>Things were far worse in North America than in China. You couldn’t have emptied North American theaters where the movie screened faster if you’d yelled ‘fire’ in the middle of the auditoriums.

>Indeed, according to the figures I’ve compiled from Boxofficemojo.com, Batman v Superman has set a new record for the worst Friday-to-Sunday drop for a superhero movie release in modern North American box office history. In dropping 55% from its $82 million Friday debut to its $37 million gross on Sunday, it pummeled all prior records for weakness in theatrical staying power. It even beat the nearly universally reviled and now long-forgotten Fantastic Four reboot, which dropped a comparatively modest 48% across its opening weekend in the summer of 2015.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/03/28/batman-v-superman-sets-record-with-worst-friday-sunday-drop-for-superhero-pics/#304cb4fa6d72