Russel Dauterman's Hellfire Gala Costumes Revealed

!!Q5YphBiresg No.121608659 ViewReplyOriginalReport
>Never doubt superheroes' ability to party. It's now been a couple years since the X-Men set up an independent mutant nation-state on the island of Krakoa, and later this year they'll be celebrating with a party way too cool for humans. The Hellfire Gala, which as its name suggests is basically like a Marvel version of the real-life Met Gala, is set to take place this June across multiple books in the X-Men line as well as the special-sized one-shot issue Planet-Sized X-Men. You may remember that recently Marvel allowed fans to vote on a member of the newest X-Men team; that team will officially make its public debut at the Hellfire Gala.

>Planet-Sized X-Men will be drawn by Pepe Larraz, the newly-minted Marvel superstar who illustrated both the House of X miniseries that kicked off the era of Krakoa and the bookend issues of the recent X of Swords event. But in order to conceive cool new designs for the X-Men's high fashion, Marvel tapped another superstar artist: Russell Dauterman, who drew much of Jason Aaron's recent much-beloved Thor run, including designing the female version of Thor who will soon be played by Natalie Portman in Taika Waititi's Thor: Love and Thunder.

>EW is proud to exclusively debut some of Dauterman's mutant fashion designs, along with his insight about why he chose the directions he did. Below, check out the new looks for Storm, Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde, and more.

"My general thought was that the Gala aesthetic should be high-fashion X-Men costumes (mutant clothes), not high-fashion human clothes," Dauterman said. "So I looked at a lot of fashion reference, but tried to think, 'What would the X-costume version of this be?' The looks reference and take inspiration from couture by Alexander McQueen, Iris van Herpen, Balmain, Moschino, Givenchy, Versace, Gaultier, Gucci, and more. I also drew from the characters' past costumes."