Elaborating on that, this is how much stuff they crammed in 22 minutes:
- there is a mysterious graffiti
- there's a place called Sinister Slum
- a bunch of shadowy figures are as strong as the DC Super Hero Girls, they fight
- oops, it's the DC Super Hero Boys (introduce each character)
- chase scene involving each individual character
- showdown between Kara and Garth
- portal opens
- Zod and Kara's mother introduced in Kara's flashback
- Kara's inferiority complex with Clark because Zod asks for the "heir of the house of El"
- finally Zod gets to fuck shit up
That does leave almost 10 full minutes of Zod fucking shit up, which is good, but it's still three or four subtopics (Sinister Slum, Super Hero Boys, Kara's inferiority complex) that aren't all that related to Zod. And because Zod hangs around the portal for the entire episode, it kinda makes him less threatening than he should be. There's definitely another 11-minute episode in there. Possibly could have added another minor villain for the SHB and SHG to fight in part 1.5, so Zod could have half an episode to move away from the portal and then return when it's time for him to lose.