Kite-man: a discussion

No.115929618 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Please don't delete.
I know a lot of people are super tilted about the ending, even though it was obvious it was gonna happen. I'm just curious, why?
Why make him so enduring and why put so much character development into him?

also, why give him such a horrible and depressing ending? Why have him basically all but said he was going to commit suicide if something happened. literally everyone has a comedic or good ending (ie. joker has a healthy relationship, Nora ends up with another guy, the worse case was Gordan, who is in exactly the same place as before) but why leave kite-man in such an awful ruined place. heartbroken, alone, and will never do better than Ivy (remmber in universe, he's very looked down on).

I felt super bad for him, I have no idea why I really related to him. I think it's cause I'm a comic artist (ie loving something no one really respects) and have been in a similar position romance wise. thankfully didn't get to the wedding haha I just see this trope so often in shows, the nice guy 3rd wheel getting shafted, but i think Kite man may have been the worse case of it :/ usually, they add some kind of flaw in them to make them unredeemable not more endearing.

Bonus: has a female character ever gotten such a raw deal? Lisa in Scott Pilgrim maybe?