old 3D CGI cartoons

No.112230578 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Do you remember how ambitious people were with 3D CGI cartoons in the 90s and early 2000s? Got any favorites?

I really loved Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles (talk about having a long title). It was a comfy show being a hybrid between the book and the movie. It still focused on the infantry running around on foot, but they had better armor and had the occasional mech to help them out. I think the designs were pretty good. As downsides I would say that they never got to finish the show and being aimed at a younger audience it's a bit too tame. Of course they could kill a ton of bugs.

My other favorite was Beast Wars: Transformers. I think the writing massively outdone G1 and I simply loved the characters there. I still think they had one of the best Megatron, ever. And the animation was really expressive, especially for a cartoon of that time. I think the more limited scope of being set on Earth only and having no humans made the story more solid. I admire the aspirations and soundtrack of the sequel but god, the designs of Beast Machines looked really ugly from time to time.

I miss how ambitious they used to be with making 3D animated shows, even if the tech was so bad.