essential must-read DC&Marvel storylines

No.109366151 ViewReplyOriginalReport
i don't know if this is the kind of thread you have every other day, because i've never come here before, so if it is i apologise.

i don't read comics that much, at least compared to the people on this board probably do. used to dabble a bit back in the day, read a bit of Sandman and Fables (which I really liked) and some DC/Marvel here and there (Agent of Asgard, TDKR, Arkham Asylum and god-butcher Thor among other things), but that's about it.
recently I read Identity Crisis, despite having only the vaguest knowledge of the other Crisis storylines and for some reason I was blown away by it. so i thought i'd try reading some of the other stuff deemed important or essential to comics as a whole. any recommendations? i honestly don't care which characters it involves, though if hard-pressed i'd say that i would be interested in Strange, Thor&Loki from Marvel and Batman, Superman and Flash from DC. also anything with really good art out there? i liked the art in god-butcher Thor, so you can take that as reference point for my taste.
i understand this is a very broad and vague question i'm asking, so any kind of feedback is appreciated.