No.109112450 ViewReplyOriginalReport
I don't care for Magneto being explicitly presented as evil. It really doesn't make much since he's somewhat of a parallel to community leaders like Malcolm X, who is respected by the black community. I know it's a comic book and he's been everything under the sun because of different writers, and I understand that as a kid's comic book series at core, it's going to be moralistic and necessarily biased toward the X-Men. But making him explicitly evil to the point of being Mutant Hitler (because writers think "you are what you hate" is always a clever device and totally never trite and witless), it undermines everything. X-Men can stay a kid's series but that doesn't mean it has to lack complexity or nuance, especially given it draws parallels to serious subject matter in reality.

Magneto ought to be an anti-hero/anti-villain/whatever at his very core, a rival leader to X, the two respecting each other for wanting what's best for their people but having different philosophies. As a human, it's easy to side with X-Men because they're the "nice" option for humans and Magneto is "mean". But if you put yourself in the shoes of a mutant like the ones you're sympathizing with, you have voices that simply can't just be rejected outright because it's limiting your options. One of those would be Magneto.

I don't mind if characters call him evil for things he does. That ought to happen, it'd be bullshit if no one did. Magneto is the kind of guy who makes no bones about the fact he's willing to do whatever he deems necessary. It's when the story has clearly decided Magneto is evil, and there's when you get "The Brotherhood of Evil" and Magneto ironically creating extermination camps for non-mutants. That's an incredibly hamfisted morality tale.