No.106425726 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Apu is staying on the Simpsons but he’ll undergo some changes.
>The Simpsons showrunner, Al Jean, has admitted that while the controversial figure of Apu Nahasapeemapetilon is still being kept on the show, the character is still a "work in progress."
>"I apologize for anyone who was bullied because of Apu. I hate bullies," Jean told The Daily Beast. "I was bullied, and if you're a bully I'll kick your ass, so certainly that was wrong. But as a writer, I always wanted to make Apu an original character -- more noble, more hardworking, and more intelligent than the average Simpsons character." Jean made it clear the creative team listened to concerns and also pointed out Apu did come off inspirational to others in the past, and not just as a joke.
>"When we were doing Episode 4, there was a big joke that Reverend Lovejoy didn't even know what religion he was, and Apu was just being this wonderful volunteer fireman, and there was an article in the Guardian recently by a South Asian writer who said that moment made him feel really proud," Jean continued. "So I think there are a lot of things about Apu that have made South Asians very proud, and it's a very complicated issue. But no one should be bullied because of him, and I'm very sorry about that."
>As for what changes were being implemented, Jean wouldn't say much as Season 30 only kicked off last month. "It's a work in progress. That's all I can say," he concluded.