Captain Marvel

No.106273199 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Saw it this night at a midnight screening.

It's good. If you like Super Hero movie, you will like this one. For the sakeof reference, I have liked all of the MCU movies except Civil War and have liked all of the MCU side-show except for Inhumans. So make of it what you will.

I think the reason it is getting mild reviews right now is because it isn't the in-your face feminism people expected it to be. the only part that really has that is at the end when she face her mentor, but it is well integrated in the flow of the story and you know it's aimed at him and at nobody else. Not cringy at all.

Over all, it's story of a journey of self-discovery and going though her self-doubts, discovering the truth about the Skrulls and the Krees. I don't know much about the comic Kree and Skrull, so I don't know how respectful they are of the source material, but I liked what they did with it. There is still a rather clear portrayal of who are the good guys and who are the bad guy, but they actually put nuances to it and it's nice. She has a nice dynamic with Nick Fury. Coulson, on the other hand is just there sporadically. it was still nice to see him in a movie again though.

On the minus side, I think it would have been better if Ronan the accuser had simply be absent, because, due to continuity, the movie require for him to remain alive, but it contradict his portrayal of absolute zealot who will fight till the end, even if he meet death. Spoiler alert, Ronan does not die fighting till the end trying to stop Carol.

I have never read old or modern Carol Denvers sotry, but heard lots of bitch-fit over the years on the internet, so I still went neutral when I went to sse her movie, but I quite liked her character ad I think Brie Larson genuinely did a good job. I think all the complain were uncalled for, honestly.