No.105964458 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Why is the SJW version of The Question so popular?

Call me a bit of a purist, but I've always seen the Question in his Ditko framework: as one of the more "adult" comic heroes that was a discussion about societal ills and gave Ditko a platform to discuss Objectivism. I never really enjoyed the more Zen version of the Question, it just didn't fit into the ideals that Ditko had set up for the character.

I managed to find a ragged copy of a Charlton version of the Question as a kid and it turned me onto Objectivism. As I grew up I read more and more Rand but didn't slip as deep into it as some people did. Ditko, on the other hand, fell deep into it and spent about 3/4ths of his career putting out Objectivist inspired comics. The Question is probably as close to getting balanced as Ditko ever got.

Charlton Comics was one of the first places that Ditko was allowed to be himself. Their editor had a fairly relaxed view of what the creators there could put out. Ditko started getting into Objectivism towards the end of his career at Marvel. After his falling out with Stan Lee (over the Green Goblin?) he went off on his own. One of the first things he put out was an Objectivist comic called the Avenging World that was set in an abysmal world with very sparse dialogue. Eventually he settled down and started to write seriously for Charlton again which gave him creative freedom over what he put out. While Dr Strange is noted for being surreal and altruistic, everything he did during his run at Charlton was hardcore Objectivist. The Question was his first attempt at blending Objectivism with comics and is probably the only series where he actually got it right. It was through the Question that Ditko was able to attack moral relativism, one of the things that Objectivism found detestable. In the Question's world there is no such thing as a subjective decision, just right and wrong decisions.