Why do all the conspiracy theory crackpots and neo-nazis (i.e. /pol/ and the like) idolize this man so much /sci/?
Good morning /sci/, who feels like flexing their inorganic chemistry muscles a little?
I am a non-chemist trying to make uranyl nitrate () by dissolving uraninite () in nitric acid. The dissolution was successful, now I need to isolate my desired compound. In case you're wondering, I want it because it's fluorescent.
Here's what I have done so far:
- Dissolved the ore in 65% nitric acid
- Removed insoluble minerals
- Precipitated alkaline earths using sulfate (This concentrated a lot of the radioactivity in the precipitate)
- Precipitated the uranium using ammonia (forming insoluble ammonium diuranate)
- Filtered and washed the precipitate
- Redissolved the uranium using nitric acid
- Let the solution dry in air for months, losing interest in it for a while
The solution crystallized partially, which is where I got pic related. Both the solution and the crystals are emitting a considerable amount of beta-radiation, indicating the presence of .
I have access to mineral acids, hardware store grade solvents and very little glassware. Does anyone want to suggest a next step? Thank you very much!