Nervous before drawing every time.

No.4211209 ViewReplyOriginalReport
How do you get over this?
Every time I sit down, take out a piece of paper and get a pencil to start drawing, I feel a sudden vanishing of inspiration. It’s like my brain is so scared of trying to draw something complicated that it has to scale down all my ideas before I even have a real chance to fail with them.

Does anyone else feel a quasi mind blank right what they start to draw? No matter how vivid or full of ideas I am right before I start this always happens. Is this something you just slowly get rid of over time or is there a way that effectively cuts down on this phenomena quickly?

I could be wrong but I think it stems from some kind of larger anxiety related to art. Nothing seems to trigger it quite like being in front of a blank page. I’m really invested in wanting to become good at some point in the future. I feel discouraged by how far I am from doing even basic things like drawing a person from imagination well or being able to make two drawings of a character look the same. I also always feel like I’m not learning/practicing in the optimal way or worse yet, learning in a way that’s harmful to development. I don’t want to overblow this. It’s not like I’m completely paralyzed by fear. I do still draw a lot, just in a way that feels very restrained and difficult to slip into.

If anyone has dealt with this and figured out how to get over it, I’d genuinly appreaciate any real insight anyone has to offer.