What Goes Into Making Quests/CYOA's?

No.3972996 ViewReplyOriginalReport
So i don't know if this is the most appropriate place to ask this question but i figured /ic would be able to help either way.

How much prep work goes into planning a Quest/CYOA(create your own adventure)?

Like I'm aware the point of them is to have the crowd kind of determine where the story goes but i was wondering to what extent do artists behind them plan certain aspects out? You know things such as character designs and having character sheets where you see the front, side and back view of the character(just so its easier to keep in mind how to draw them from certain perspectives). Do artists come up with a general map of the area the character is standing in so you can keep some level of consistency with the backgrounds and locations? Do they have certain aspects and events of the story planned out to keep a general direction with the story going while also trying to maintain some level of freedom with the crowd? or is nothing planned at all and its all improvised on the spot?

I guess it kind of depends on the type of Quest/CYOA but the ones im talking about are the types with some level of finesse where its not just a character standing in an empty white background(not that theres anything wrong with those)

I've been wanting to do a Quest/CYOA here for probably over a year now just as a sort of fun thing to give to the community while also working on certain aspects in my art like drawing backgrounds, experimenting with composition and tone/atmosphere/color but i just haven't gotten around to getting everything together and ready(and im not sure what exactly goes into that either) and i haven't been super confident about the general story itself either to want to actually post it either.

When i look at some Quests/CYOA's i'm just in awe at how cool things can play out.

Artwork unrelated