Modern digital "Masterpieces"

No.3174931 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey /ic/ I'm currently an artist making their way through traditional art school (primarily 2d) and I've come into somewhat of an issue.

Now to give some context, my school is very traditional. We have no digital art classes aside from the typical graphic design classes and one digital photography class (it's less about the art and more about how to take good photography of a subject; portrait, store fronts, interiors and whatnot) No classes in digital painting, animation, 3d modelling, image manipulation, or anything.

So I'm in painting, all well and good- traditional skills are important and I really enjoy them, but I would like to do something different. Our assignment is to take two "Masterpieces", say Van Gogh's "Starry Night" and Whistler's "Portrait of the Artist's Mother" and combine them in some way while still having good composition, focal points, technique, etc. Being someone who is very interested in the digital realm, I of course want to take two digital masterpieces and bring them together.

The only problem is, due to my lack of formal education on digital artists, I've found that very difficult to do. I don't really know what artworks would be considered masterpieces or not. So I've come to you, /ic/, to give me suggestions on what art is groundbreaking nowadays, and (to make sure it fits within the rules) WHY they're relevant. After all, I need to explain to my art professor why they're masterpieces as well.

In terms of style I'm very much open to anything. I've featured an Alyn Spiller as my pic, and is something I really liked. He's been in the field and on some very important creations for a long time so I thought he might be relevant.