Building the platform

No.4063820 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Welcome, anon. Do you want to help shape the next gen art platform from the ground up? Developed by anons, for anons? Yes? Then please continue.

Right now there are no decent options. This is not a thread to debate other platforms and their strengths/weaknesses, but a place to put together what would work. I'm gonna list some ideas and thoughts that have popped up in previous threads and what I think would be nice to have. Feel free to give input on anything, but the 2 most important parts are:

1) What functionality do we include, and in which development priority
2) How do we monetize it. Not to get rich, but to keep the platform afloat. Data transfer costs $$$, and no one is gonna pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for a hobby project. There needs to be a basic monetization model so the site can support itself.

---------------
Functionality
---------------

The absolute basics are a user system and a page where you can show off your portfolio. I think a title and short message needs to be included (optional). And I believe both a feed type of view and a gallery/portfolio view are both nice to have. Feeds would open up functionality to follow users, comment, like, reblog etc.

Important: Is there a difference between a feed post and a portfolio post? Are they the same just shown differently? Or can you post to your feed without it being a portfolio piece and vice versa?

Important: Do we allow some kind of reblog functionality like tumblr (or retweet for twitter)?

Other ideas: An extended form for feedback, maybe an image upload option for redlining/correcting? Ratings (0-5/10) vs likes/stars?

Imageboards: This has been mentioned. But I don't think it would work. It would be confusing for people who aren't used to them, and we already have /ic/

Forum: Eh, idk